Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Getting Ready for Halloween

The other day, Landon had pumpkin-shaped toast for a snack. I bought this pumpkin-shaped cookie cutter on clearance after Halloween last year, so I used it to cut the toast, then sprinkled it with cinnamon. Easy, tasty, and festive!

A few days ago, we put out our Halloween decorations, and I found a coloring book that I bought on sale last year, called My Pumpkin's Gospel Story. It's both a storybook and a coloring book, which is handy, because Landon cares a lot more about reading it than coloring it. If it were just a coloring book, we wouldn't be getting much use out of it.

Landon had a buddy over today, so I made them some orange playdough. We shaped pumpkins out of it. (My recipe is from The Toddler's Busy Book. Combine 1 cup water, 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, 1/2 cup salt, 1 tablespoon cream of tartar, and food coloring in a saucepan. Heat until warm. Remove from heat and mix/knead in 1 cup flour. Stores in an airtight container for six months or more; I have some from February that's still going strong. I prefer to make it in half batches, because I feel that a full batch makes a lot.)

No comments: